The GE Healthcare CARESCAPETM VC150 vital signs monitor provides exceptional patient comfort while delivering high-clinical accuracy. Simple to use, requiring only one step for common tasks. CARESCAPE VC150’s touch screen capability and trusted DINAMAP™ SuperSTAT non-invasive blood pressure algorithm, enhances patient care and streamlines clinical operations, all while reducing monitoring downtime. Configuration options allow the CARESCAPE VC150 Monitor to support EWS defined by the clinical facility. Medical personnel can receive vital signs and enter data wirelessly into the patients’ electronic medical records, thereby simplifying and expediting the process.
The battery-operated monitor provides noninvasive determination of systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, mean arterial pressure (MAP), pulse rate, respiration rate (only available with Nellcor and Masimo technologies), oxygen saturation, and temperature. This array of functionality is accomplished through a design consisting of several specialized PCB boards.
The VC150 Vital Signs Monitor is classified in the following categories for compliance with IEC 60601-1:
- Internally powered or Class I when powered from external supply
- Software complies with IEC 60601-1-4
- Monitor meets requirements of IEC 60601-2-49
- Alarm system adheres to IEC 60601-1-8
Main microcontroller motherboard
Motherboard contains the main and sub microcontrollers and the connectors to other boards handling specialized functions:
- TI AM3517AZER – Sitara processor: Arm Cortex-A8, 3D graphics, video front end
- TI LVDS83B – 10- to 135-MHz 28-bit LVDS transmitter/serializer & FlatLink™
- Micron NQ413 – Memory chips
- Winbond W972GG6J8-3 – DDR2 Memory IC 2Gb (128M x 16) Parallel 333MHz 450ps 84-WBGA
- Connectors (J#pin_number) – J#16 to isolation Board, J#4 to Charger, J#3 to Battery, Jumper to USB Board, J#3 to Speaker, J#3 Nurse Call, J#7 to Power Button, J#30 to Printer, J#6 to Touch Panel, Jumpers to Display and Backlight
NIBP module handles the noninvasive blood pressure (NIBP) operation and measurement. Primary components include:
- NXP LPC2468FET208 – 512kB 16/32bit microcontroller
- Cypress CY7C1041DV33-10ZS – 4Mbit static RAM. Two are used
- TI MSP430F2013 – Mixed signal microcontroller
- Fujikura pressure or NIBP sensor. Two are used
Covidien/Nellcor SpO2 board
The SpO2 parameter is offered in three different technologies – GE TruSignal, Nellcor OxiMaxTM, Masim rainbow® SET®. The Nellcor OxMaxTM is shown in this teardown
- ST M25P64V66 – 64 Mbit Serial Flash Memory
- Maxim MAX4053 – Low-Voltage, CMOS Analog Multiplexers/Switches
- TI OMAP-L1398 – C6000 DSP+ARM low-power applications processor
- Micron GK101357 – Memory chip
Welch Allyn Suretemp® Plus Temperature Board
Oral, axillary or rectal temperatures can be measured with the Welch Allyn SureTemp® Plus temperature. The dedicated temperature board interfaces with the isolation board for data communication and power supply. There are two infrared photodetectors (obscured in pic by the Welch Allyn temperature probe) supported with a main microcontroller.
NEC 780308YGCM15 – 8-bit single-chip microcontroller
EDAC 392-008-559-201 – 392 series R/A connector
The board provides galvanic isolation of data communication and power between the main controller mother board, the Covidien/Nellcor SpO2 OxiMaxTM board and the Welch Allyn SureTemp® Plus temperature board. This board is covered with a protective, transparent plastic casing.
- Broadcom (Avago) ACPL-W61L – Ultra low power 10MBd digital CMOS optocoupler, 5000V isolation. Three devices isolate in 2/1 channels bi-directional configuration between the SpO2 board and mother board. Four devices isolate in 3/1 channels bi-directional configuration between the Welch Allyn temperature board and mother board
- Finductives 4K00050B – Ferrite core transformers. Two are in use to isolates power supplies
- Ohmite 102E – 40MΩ 1% high voltage resistors (two in series) across each isolation gap
The CARESCAPETM VC150 has various USB connections. There are three regular USB-A ports, USB-B with one port offered for future medical USB connection. The USB-A ports and the power-to-mains port are on the same board while the Medical USB is on a separate board with an isolator of USB 2.0 compatible, 5000 V isolation capable.
- Analog Devices ADUM4160BRWZ – Full/Low Speed 5 kV USB Digital Isolator
CARESCAPE VC150’s simple, yet powerful, capabilities and remote serviceability reduce monitor downtime and enable better use of biomed resources. Through Wi-Fi biomeds can check monitor information, update software, upload settings, view/export logs, upload license files and view license information, view and change preventative maintenance settings. Biomeds are able to configure multiply devices by configuring one monitor and copying the configuration onto PC/laptop, then to others in the CARESCAPE VC150 fleet. CARESCAPE VC150 vital signs monitor can also show meaningful error messages, some of which can be handled by clinicians right away.
Rugged and reliable construction minimizes failures, but common parts and easy access make service a snap if needed. Compliance to international standards ensures acceptance by most any governing body.
All told, the CARESCAPE VC150 is a solid choice for a range of healthcare providers, including emergency medical technicians (EMTs), home nurses, doctors’ offices and hospitals.